• POLICY AND INTELLIGENCE ... Work with us in our drive to make the engineering and advanced manufacturing sectors a UK priority
  • CAREERS PATHWAYS ... Picture Yourself Here: explore the opportunities in the UK's most advanced sectors from Apprenticeships to professional development
  • STANDARDS, QUALIFICATIONS AND FRAMEWORKS ... Your one stop shop for essential resources and information for delivering engineering, science and technology skills
  • SKILLS SOLUTIONS ... Maximise your people, skills and productivity: how Semta can help
  • SEMTA APPRENTICESHIP SERVICE ... A one-stop employer solution for recruiting, developing and mentoring talented apprentices

Take the first step

Contact us on 0845 643 9001 or at customerservices@semta.org.uk today to take the first step towards finding the right apprentice for your business. One of Semta's expert team of apprenticeship coordinators can come and visit your business, or simply talk over the phone to assess how we can support and advise you.
 

How much is it going to cost?

We know the cost of taking on an apprentice is a concern for many businesses. However, hiring and training your own apprentices with the support of Semta Apprenticeship Service can be one of the most cost effective training solutions available.

Apprenticeship levy paying employers

If you’re an employer with a pay bill over £3 million each year, you must pay the apprenticeship levy from 6 April 2017. You can create a government apprenticeship service account to receive levy funds to pay for apprenticeship training and assessment, up to the funding band maximum for that apprenticeship.

Semta Apprenticeship Service is on the Register of Apprenticeship Training Providers (RoATP). This means we are quality assured and approved to deliver government funded apprenticeship training to employers who pay the apprenticeship levy. (Please note, we appear on the RoATP as Metskill Ltd, rather than Semta Apprenticeship Service our trading name).

Non levy paying employers

If you are an employer who does not pay the apprenticeship levy, you will pay 10% towards the cost of apprenticeship training and the government will pay the rest (90%), up to the funding band maximum.

Extra support for small employers

From May 2017 the government will fund 100% of the apprenticeship training costs (up to the maximum of the funding band) for the apprenticeship for employers with fewer than 50 employees if the apprentice is:

• aged between 16 and 18 years old
• aged between 19 and 24 years old and either has: an education, health and care plan provided by the local authority, or has been in local authority care

Apprenticeship Grant for Employers (AGE) for 16 to 24 year-olds

Up to 1st August 2017, employers can receive £1,500 for each 16 to 24 year old apprentice they employ (up to five in total), if they have not employed an apprentice in the previous 12 months. AGE can only be claimed for a non-levy-paying employer with fewer than 50 employees.

Additional financial incentives are also available in some regions. Semta Apprenticeship Service can support you to access all available sources of funding.

Call 0845 643 9001 or email customerservices@semta.org.uk to arrange an appointment with an apprenticeship coordinator to find out more.