National Occupational Standards
Semta is responsible for setting and reviewing the National Occupational Standards (NOS) for our sectors. NOS provide a rigorous and high quality skills infrastructure for occupations across the engineering and advanced manufacturing sectors. These standards set out the skills, knowledge and understanding needed to work in a wide range of jobs.
More than 2,500 NOS have been developed by Semta in partnership with employers. The standards are used throughout the UK, and internationally, to provide a robust, consistent benchmark of the skills needed by a competitive workforce.
Setting occupational standards with industry
We work directly with employers to identify and define the skills and knowledge people need to work successfully in our sectors. Semta’s Standards are developed with employers for employers. We invite all employers to work with us on our Standards and Apprenticeship Frameworks.
National Occupational Standards are used to:
- inform the content of Vocational Qualifications such as N/SVQs and Technical Certificates used in Apprenticeship Frameworks
- benchmark the skills and measure the performance of current employees
- identify any skills gaps and shortages
- develop company training and assessment programmes
- shape job specifications
- develop job descriptions and person specifications for recruitment
- undertake staff appraisals and/or set individual or team objectives
All National Occupational Standards are available from the National Occupational Standards website. For more information, or if you are unable to find the NOS you require, please call 0845 6439001 or email email@example.com
To find out which Awarding Organisations we work with click here.